There are several aspects to the loan policy of this library, affected by the status of the library’s item, and the borrower.
In essence, these are:
- Undergraduates: maximum of 6 items at any one time. Books may be borrowed for 14 days, with the option of 3 renewals. Music scores may be borrowed for 35 days (5 weeks), with the option of 3 renewals.
- Postgraduates: maximum of 12 items at any one time. Books and music scores may be borrowed for 35 days (5 weeks), with the option of 3 renewals.
- Staff: may borrow most items for a period of 90 days (3 months), with the option of 1 renewal.
Music scores with multiple parts qualify as one item (eg. trios and quartets).
Certain items, such as CDs, DVDs, or books in high demand, have been designated as Short Loan items for a variety of reasons and these are restricted to:
- a 3-hour loan period during library hours, and/or
- an overnight/weekend loan, available from 15:00, until 09:30 the next morning/working day.
Further restrictions and exceptions apply to items such as journals, digital copies of scores, LPs, special collections, and general research materials. For more details on these, see below.