Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
are ORCID iDs?
- ORCID iDs are 16 digit unique and persistent identifiers for researchers & scholars.
- They can be used in any institution through out a researcher's career life.
- They are interoperable across systems of publishers, funding organizations and research institutions.
- They are non-proprietary IDs provided to researchers freely by ORCID.
ORCID is an acronym for "Open Researcher and Contributor IDentifier"
ORCID is a research community-driven organization that provides:
- a registry of unique identifiers (ORCID iDs) for researchers & scholars,
- a researcher biography platform for each ORCID iDs.
should I use ORCID iDs?
- to disambiguate yourself from peer researchers with the same or similar names,
- to gather the published variations of an author's names under one ORCID iD,
- to ensure your research outputs and activities are correctly attributed to you,
- to reliably and easily connect you with your contributions and affiliations,
- to improve recognition and discoverability of you and your research outputs by:
- funding organizations,
- potential collaborators,
- anyone interested in your research activities,
- to simplify application processes whenever needed.
to get full benefit of using ORCID iDs
- Register for an ORCID iD.
- Link it to your institution, in this case University of Cape Town.
- Use your ORCID iD in your:
- institutional profile page,
- research outputs when submitting to publish,
- email signature,
- conference presentation,
- media stories,
- anywhere you have a public profile.
Register for an ORCID iD at ORCID registration page.
- List all variants of your names used for publications.
- Use the visibility setting to determine who can view contents. We recommend using 'everyone'.
- Add your research outputs using available options: publication identifiers, search & link facility, importing BibTeX
- Link your ORCID iD to University of Cape Town (See how to link at 'Link your ORCID iD to UCT' tab).
A convenient way to sign in to your ORCID iD would be using your University of Cape Town (UCT) network credential. You can do so by linking your ORCID iD to UCT.
To link your ORCID iD to University of Cape Town (UCT), follow the instructions below:
- Open sign in button from ORCID webpage,
- Select 'Institutional Account' option,
- Pick University of Cape Town and 'Continue'
- Sign in using your UCT user credentials
- By signing in using your ORCID, you have linked your ORCID iD with UCT.
- Once you have linked, you will be able to directly access your ORCID account using your institutional credentials through the 'Institutional Account'.